Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Update on DITA and Plone progress

I think it will be useful to record my progress in learning DITA over the coming weeks and months, albeit it may be boring for those readers not interested in structured authoring and topic-based writing. The DITA info center is added to the right hand side list of links as it is accelerating the learning process.

Today covered more of DITA and worked on a project at the DITA users group. Also investigated eLearning solutions for a client that is trying to bring their executive team up to speed on recent technology adopted by the company.

Also, the plone site is coming along. We have looked at a few skins and replaced the logo with our own. It does seem like it will be a time-consuming and labour-intensive process though. While there are numerous tutorials and ample reading material about plone, it is quite difficult to find exactly what you need for a specific problem. Perhaps I could help out with the documentation team, if I had more time. I think screencasts are the future in technical communications, especially in an instance like learning plone. Some good plone screencast tutorials are here, here and here. The tutorials are good, but a little basic for my needs. I'd love to see the same kind of thing, but for more advanced topics - must put this on my list of things to do for when I have some time.

No comments: