Friday, June 8, 2007

Technical communication and web 2.0 tools

A new technique for acquiring the data we need for technical documentation is the use of wikis. They serve as planning sites or brain dumps in the techie world and are a great place for technical communicators to go and sift through information in order to present it to end-users in more palatable forms such as on-line help and tutorials.

Ten interesting ideas for using wikis at work can be found here and here and, not surprisingly, operations guides and technical documentation are two of them. I especially like the idea of a recent trends section to keep track of changes in our profession. I think I'll suggest this to the Montreal STC chapter if it hasn't already been done. Cheers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there,

Thought you might like to know I posted a further 5 uses for wikis at work: http://infotrope.net/blog/2007/06/07/yet-another-5-uses-for-wiki-at-work/

K.

K T Cat said...

Thanks for this post. I really needed this info at work. I'm using it right now, as a matter of fact!